If you have shipping needs that you need to address, then you need to find the right container to meet your needs. As the shipping industry continues to progress and advance, there are new containers reaching the market with regularity.
One option that you might have heard about is the pallet wide container.
A pallet is a flat wooden structure that is used to support heavy goods. Usually, goods are loaded onto pallets using forklifts. Then, they are transferred to containers.
Because the ISO regulates pallets, there is uniformity in most regions across the globe, making pallets relatively easy to load onto pallet wide containers.
What is this container, and when should you use it?
What Is Pallet-Wide Container?
Containers come in numerous shapes and sizes, with a pallet wide container being one of the most common options.
A pallet-wide container is a non-standard container that has various dimensions that can be tailored to meet your specific needs.
This container has been specifically designed to accommodate various euro-pallets which means that are more common in Europe; however, if you ever have a need to ship something to or from Europe, then this container might be for you.
The pallet wide container has been specifically designed to load European pallets, with the pallet wide container being made approximately four inches (or 10 cm) wider than the standard ISO container to make it easier to load pallets of varying sizes.
While the European, American, and Australian pallets are similarly sized, they are not identical. The pallet wide container has been designed to accommodate all of these sizes.
Pallet-Wide Shipping Container Dimensions
While there are multiple types of pallet containers, pallet wide containers usually have a set of standard dimensions as follows:
- A 20 ft PW is 5.89 m L by 2.44 m W by 2.39 m H, or 19.3 ft L by 8 ft W by 7.8 ft H
- A 40 ft PW is 12.03 m L by 2.44 m W by 2.39 m H, or 39.5 ft L by 8 ft W by 7.8 ft L
The 20 ft PW usually weighs 2400 kg or 5291 lbs, while the 40 ft PW usually weighs 3800 kg or 8377 lbs.
Make sure to assess all shipping options before making a decision on which pallet wide container is right for you.
Why Should You Use Pallet Wide Containers?
There are several reasons why you should use pallet wide containers. They include:
- A pallet wide container is more efficient than a standard container because it can accommodate pallets from different continents and can load multiple of them at the same time.
- There is room for the pallets to be secured tightly in the containers to avoid unnecessary movement, reducing the chances of a pallet being damaged.
- With pallet wide containers, dispatch times are reduced, helping to meet the needs of clients.
- The cost of product packaging is lower with pallet wide containers because it is possible to get more loads to a single destination in a shorter amount of time.
These are just a few of the many benefits of using pallet wide containers.
Where Are Pallet Wide Containers Used?
Pallet wide containers are used all over the world and can ship just about any cargo; however, there are a few common goods that pallet wide containers can ship. They include:
- Raw materials
- Retail goods
In general, you can ship anything in pallet wide containers that is not perishable or too large; however, if you do want to ship perishable goods, you need to make sure that the container is climate-controlled to prevent your goods from perishing or spoiling en route.
Because pallet wide containers are standardized and cost-effective, they have become a popular shipping modality across the world. Take a look at a few pallet shipping options in your local area.